A concrete floor can offer great visual benefits to a home's exterior. Concrete, however, is not indestructible and can suffer from the effects of wear, tear, and exposure from the elements. For those wishing they could improve the look of their concrete floor, here are seven simple tips to follow.
1. Clean the concrete thoroughly. Often, there is really nothing wrong with the concrete at all. Concrete can get very dirty over time and this leads to the floor losing its luster. Putting a little elbow grease into washing or mopping can sometimes have a major effect on how the concrete looks.
2. Paint the concrete. Homeowners commonly think paint jobs are just for walls, ceilings, doors, and the like. Concrete floors can also be painted. A new paint job or, for that matter, even a first time paint job can really enhance the look of a concrete floor tremendously. Painting the concrete is also relatively inexpensive and likely a good choice for someone on a budget.
3. Resurface the concrete with a polymer-modified overlay. This might seem like a complex job, but it really isn't. Scores of different colors and patterns are available so you never have to feel you are limited in your selection of overlays.
4. Stain the concrete. When the concrete is in decent condition and has not been seriously damaged, merely staining it can enhance the look of the concrete immensely. A staining job can take a few hours, costs relatively little, and can make old concrete floors look as good as new.
5. Add stencil borders to the concrete floor. With the right stencil border pattern, a concrete floor can embody a very novel look. Using previously cut stencil borders can speed up the job immensely and also make it less costly.
6. Use the scoring method to change the look of the concrete. Scoring entails using a tool that carves lines and patterns into the concrete for decorative effective. This job is one best left to those with experience.
7. Fix the minor cracks in the concrete. When concrete has suffered major damage or is sinking into the ground, then it may have to be torn up and completely replaced. Cracks can be fixed though and in a relatively easy manner. Once the cracks have been fixed, the concrete will look a lot better. Painting or staining the concrete will further enhance it.
There are quite a number of ways a concrete floor can be made to look visually appealing. Some methods are more involved than others and all of them can enhance the look of the concrete and the surrounding home immensely.